Southern Morocco Discovery
A four day journey exploring Southern Morocco
On this trip you'll journey through the south of Morocco on your way to the endless dunes of Erg Chebbi—one of Morocco’s two Saharan seas of wind-blown sand dunes—and back. Over four days you'll stay in the beautiful Dades Valley, pass through the spectacular Todra Gorge—a narrow, 300m high canyon—discover the rocky landscapes and hidden oases of the Draa Valley, visit the once prominent trading post of Ait Ben Haddou—famous for its 17th century kasbahs—and of course ride a camel into the desert at sunset. Along the way you'll travel through the gorgeous green valleys of rural Morocco that lead you to its vast desert plains, witness caravans of camels silently passing you by, sleep under the stars of the brilliantly clear night sky and wake to a spectacular red sunrise like no other. This journey through the desert has all the ingredients for an unforgettable Southern Morocco adventure!
- Minimum 2 persons required
- Great all year round
- Day 1Marrakech | Skoura | Dades Valley
- Day 2Dades Valley | Todra Gorge | Erg Chebbi
- Day 3Erg Chebbi | Draa Valley | Ouarzazate
- Day 4Ouarzazate | Ait Ben Haddou | Marrakech
- Professional English speaking guide
- Accommodation (Berber guesthouse x 1 night, nomad tent x 1 night, hotel x 1 night)
- Late model transportation with A/C
- All meals (breakfast x 3, lunch x 4, dinner x 3)
- Oasis Museum entrance fee
- Camel ride in Sahara
- Traditional Berber music at Sahara campsite
Note: Travelling companions will be roomed together in hotels unless they request separate single rooms. For a single room there is an extra charge of €20 per person per night. Travelling companions will also be roomed together in Berber guesthouses. It is not possible to book a single room when staying in a Berber guesthouse.
- Aeroplane ticket
- Travel insurance
Note: This trip starts in the morning on Day 1 and ends in the evening on Day 4. If you would like us to arrange airport transfers, accommodation, optional activities or anything else before, during or after your trip, please let us know as we are more than happy to do this.
Begin your experience with an early morning transfer from your Marrakech accommodation to your balloon’s launching site. Upon arrival hop in the basket and gaze away as this sunrise flight takes you soaring over the foothills of Morocco’s Atlas Mountains. Touch down for a freshly prepared Berber breakfast before returning to Marrakech in your 4×4 vehicle. At the end of the day take home a flight certificate as a souvenir of your experience.
Price: €195 per person.
Duration: 5 hours (1 hour in-flight).
Visit this enchanting garden in the heart of the city, designed by French painter Jacques Majorelle (1886–1962). Stroll along the shady paths past exotic trees and plants, streams and pools whilst watching the numerous birds who call this peaceful paradise home.
Price: €5 per person.
Marrakech City Tour
Discover what lies behind Marrakech’s ancient red walls on this guided exploration of the city’s old town. Begin by visiting Koutoubia Mosque, the Saadian Tombs, Bahia Palace and the old Jewish Quarter. Then stop off at Djemaa el Fna. Here you can sit down and enjoy a well-deserved cup of mint tea whilst gazing out over Marrakech’s central square—a vibrant meeting place for young and old. You’ll see acrobats, fortune tellers, musicians, snake charmers and traders all coming together in one truly amazing spectacle. Finally, wander the narrow, aromatic alleys of the spice souk. And if at the end of the day you’re a bit peckish and still feeling adventurous, why not visit one of the many restaurants showcasing traditional Moroccan cuisine located just a stone’s throw away?
Price: €25 per person (minimum 2 persons required).
Duration: 4–5 hours.
Get ready for the ultimate tagine experience during this one of a kind activity in Marrakech. Begin by learning the Arabic for the key ingredients of Morocco’s most famous dish as you join your teacher in the souks. Here you’ll mix with the locals when shopping for your meat, vegetables and most importantly, spices. Head back to the traditional riad kitchen and learn how to brew a pot of refreshing Moroccan mint tea, before following your teacher’s step-by-step instructions to prepare your very own mouthwatering lunch. At the end of the day take home a copy of the recipe as an everlasting memory of your authentic Moroccan cooking experience.
Price: €55 per person (minimum 2 persons required).
Duration: 4–5 hours (including 50 minute walk).
Clothing & Footwear:
- Comfortable walking clothes that are suitable for layering
- Comfortable clothes and shoes for hostel/campsite/hotel
- Fleece jacket/warm jumper
- Comfortable shoes for walking
- Synthetic/woollen socks
- Sarong/scarf/loose cotton trousers that can easily be pulled on over to shorts to cover shoulders/legs when walking through villages
- 2–3 season sleeping bag (optional)
- Water bottle/hydration bladder
- Water purification pen/tablets
- Head torch
- Camera, memory card and charger
- Spare batteries
- Personal items (including hand sanitiser, lip balm, microfibre towel, sunscreen, toilet paper, toiletries, wet wipes etc)
- Medicine and copy of doctor’s prescription which states medication and quantity carried
- Personal first aid kit (including blister tape, insect repellant, oral rehydration salts, plasters, tweezers, diarrhoea tablets etc)
- Small repair kit (including duct tape, extra shoelaces, needle, thread etc)
- Rubbish bag